A Walk in the Park Challenge

I put off thinking about this challenge theme too long. There was no reason for that, other than too many other projects that needed getting done. When I finally got around to thinking of this theme, I had no idea what to do. Should I approach it literally, and create a scene from my walk in fabric? Since I don't walk in parks, that would be a challenge. Should I take it as making something that comes to me easily?

In the end, I chose to make a quilt of what I like to see when I do walk in a park. I'm not a gardener, but I do enjoy seeing gardens full of lovely flowers. I had a quilted piece left from last month's challenge, so I used that as the backdrop. I thought it was fitting given how much rain we've had this season. So my flowers have rain falling in the background.




I had a piece of Kaffe Fassett fabric in my stash, and it was just what I was looking for. Cutting those flowers out was a bit of a chore.

Once I settled on a layout, I pulled out my embroidery threads and got to work. No fancy stitching, just long and short stitches wherever I thought it worked. I had all the right colors of threads, which is always a bonus.





I'm not quite finished with this yet. No binding, since I'm still debating whether to bind or face the quilt. I may add a few more details, like a dragonfly if I can find one to stitch on.

It's been a good challenge piece to work on in the evenings!

Wendy

Comments

  1. I think you nailed the theme of the challenge! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. . . Your stitching is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your embroidery brought these flowers to life! Kaffe Fassett uses beautiful colors in all of his fabrics. But your embroidery gives it a 3D effect. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy, what a great idea. Those Kaffe Fassett flowers are perfect and as intricate as you want to make them. I'm going to try to remember that! Your embroidery really adds to the piece. Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous quilt! I love those Kaffe Fassett fabrics too. That quilt just makes me think all happy thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just can't beat Kaffe for the most gorgeous colours and designs. This is beautiful, Wendi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the scale and composition. I also love flowers and a good quilting challenge! LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turned out wonderfully, love the flowers and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful! That really is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hand stitching is beautiful. Amazing to see how it can enhance the flowers and bring them to life. Great job on interpreting the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty flowers, I love how you stitched them. Clever rain quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!! Just so pretty made prettier by your expert embroidery!!! Fabulous finish, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait, am I on the wrong page?!! It took me over here, but it looks like this is from a year ago!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow ! the colors and design are exquisite. A joy to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A butterfly would be pretty on this too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! And a great way to use some Kaffe colour

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love Kaffe Fasset fabrics and you sure found a way to highlight their beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it. I would face it. A binding would distract from the design.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these pretty colors and it's perfect for this challenge. Your quilts are works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love It! the touches of embroidery make it look all the more real. And I think your "walk"ing foot lines are perfect. I vote to face it and not bind it. I think binding would take away from what you have already done! time4stitchn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Wendy wow love your challenge piece it’s stunning,well done 🌹🤍🌹

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wendy, that is lovely! I love flowers and go to every garden show I can. The illusion of rain was inspired. Congrats on a fine challenge piece. And thanks for stopping by my SAHRR post for this week. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment